Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Ride JTA (2004)

I ran up the escalator and rushed to catch the tram
(Should've woken earlier but, hey, this is who I am).
I grabbed the bar, held on tight and waited for it to go
Then I realized that this morning I wasn't riding alone.
A man was sitting opposite, in his ragged clothes and hat
A pack of cigarettes in his pocket, backpack in his lap.
I didn't know who he was and, in truth, couldn't really care
I just kept on hoping he wouldn't see me standing there.
He was smelling rather rank, his clothes a filthy black
Caught a whiff, grabbed my nose, almost had to yack.
The man didn't notice me and was staring into space
So I looked out the windows at cars as if we raced.
My mind started wandering and thinking of his plight.
I wondered how I would handle it without a home tonight.
If my friends were gone and I’d no one to give a hand.
If all I owned and cared for was gone like hourglass sand.
I thought of mom and siblings and things never said.
I feared for health and safety if I'd had the streets instead.
My pseudo-liberal guilt had finally made me it's bitch
I turned to face the man (who apparently had jock itch).
I muttered an 'excuse me' and hoped he wouldn't hear;
My inner being jostling as apathy fought Christmas cheer.
I was willing to offer him enough for a good meal and a cot.
Instead he just looked at me,
"Hey, man...got some pot?"

1 Comments:

Blogger wmjwatson said...

Thanks, Nickie. I appreciate that. Of course, now I have pressure to try and keep it updated. DAMMIT!!!

9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home