Monday, October 03, 2005

Serenity

No, this isn't the review.
I've seen the flick three times and have a lot to say about it.
This is about how SAD it is that Flightplan beat Serenity at the box office. The three showings of Serenity I went to were pretty packed. Granted, one was a sneak peak that could've squeezed more people in but considering the passes were ONLY given out at one place, it was impressive. The second viewing was on Friday night at a crap theatre that was close to where my friend was was PACKED with standing room only. Even staff was huddled in the halls watching. The most recent viewing was Sunday evening and THAT was decently filled. The biggest problem? The last two showings were in itty bitty theatres. But that's more MY beef than anything.
But Serenity WAS number two, you say?
It only made ten mil. Ten Lousy Million!! According to an interview with Joss Whedon, the movei needs to make about $50 mil domestic and $80 mil worldwide (which is wimpy considering it sHOULD amke $80 mil in the US alone!). Not the best of starts for it. Sure, you can look at it was only five mil out of first and that Flightplan has more recognized names BEYOND genre and fanboy communities but the movie had been getting lackluster reviews (myself, included) whereas Serenity has at worst gotten lukewarm reviews. Everyone I know of who I have spoken to about it has loved the movie, whether fans of the show or not. It's acknowledged as being well made, written and acted.
Ah, maybe THAT's the problem.
You see, that also explains the SHOW and it got cancelled. For all the blame you can lay at Fox's feet for shortsightedness and jsut balls out stupidity, it's still a numbers game. Fox can use this opening weekend to basically go "SEE? WE WERE RIGHT!"
And right now... I would almost believe them.
Damn it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

That sucks. I loved loved loved the movie and have told everyone I know to see it.

8:39 PM  
Blogger wmjwatson said...

Just keep spreading the word! That's what I've been doing. And it's teh same thing I do ANYTIME I like a movie.

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home