Thursday, September 22, 2005

BW3's in OP...Trivia went..... ok.

Trivia went… ok.
I had a LOT of people there. I mean, the restaurant area was pretty crowded and the bar was relatively packed. Lots of people playing with those lil blue trivia boxes where you don’t actually WIN anything. So I was hopeful. Came in, set my stuff up, talked to the manager and a couple of people who came up to me, had the manager offer me any food I wanted (AWESOME!) and got the sound turned over to my control. The system was working better and the jukebox was turned down this time (MORE AWESOME!). So I put out the call.
"Welcome to Buffalo Wild Wings, Orange Park, your place for TEAM TRIVIA on Thursdays! It’s free to play so come up and grab all your free supplies: a companion sheet for notes and to keep track of your progress, a couple of pencils and an answer pad. That’s ALL you need to play."
I saw some heads turn and listen and even more turn as I finished it up.
And then the kicker!
"Some great prizes tonite for our top three teams with first place getting $50 house cash, $20 for second and $10 for third! That’s three chances to win and it’s completely free to enter."
Then I introduced myself and played a song. "Rock Me Like a Hurricane" if you’re curious.
And I had two people walk up.
After I explained the rules, two more came up.
And most were from the bar area. One team moved over so they could watch whatever game was on, still be walking distance to the bar and to me. What a concept. The rest of the folks in the dining area (which is where I have FULL control over the sound didn’t even act like they were considering playing. And the bar couldn’t really hear me enough to know what was going on.
A fifth team would join later in the night… right after half time, actually. And they would come in second.
ANYway, so the game went smoothly enough. No scorekeeping issues, no people getting upset over the questions beyond "they’re too hard" (which they aren’t for the OTHER Beedubs but for THIS one, maybe so) and no rowdiness beyond someone celebrating too hard and cracking their beer glass. But they won so more power to them!
One guy came up and said he will definitely be back next week. Two other teams were regulars already (past couple of weeks) and one other said he wants to tell everyone he knows cause he had a blast.
But ONE guy from the winning team came up and asked if I was gonna be the regular host. I said "Definitely" and he was pleased. He mentioned he has a bunch of friends and co-workers and such that go around throughout the week playing trivia at various spots and they just happened to see the signs up one day for Beedubs. He wants to get all of them to come in so they can play against each other. If he DOES convince them, the place COULD conceivably pack out.
This is GREAT!!
I hope he’s serious and that his friends come out and enjoy themselves.
I do like the job but get frustrated when I feel like I am the only one who promotes it. And I only have so many avenues to do so. Plus, most of my friends either can’t come out or won’t.
Which sucks.
But anyway, that’s how the night was.
Talk to you later.
The half time question for two points a piece:
Name Michael’s four brothers that made up the ORIGINAL Jackson 5.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home