Sunday, April 16, 2006

Scary Movie 4, The Wild, Thank You For Not Smoking (and Lucky Number Slevin, just in case)

Scary Movie 4
First off, I feel compelled to explain that I giggled osme at the first two but overall felt they were crap. The Wayans family peaked in the parody genre with I'm Gonna Git You Sucka! When the Zuckers took over the franchise, I gave it a shot and was pleasantly surprised. I went into SM4 expecting to laugh and giggle like i did with #3. Granted, the trailers made the film seem heavy on Grudge and War of the Worlds references with some Village thrown in... this would be the first one where I HADN'T seen all the movies being used but 2/3 should be sufficient. Or so I thought.. especially since I never saw the film that Airplane was based on. Funny is funny.
How sad.
If you've seen the trailers, you've seen the "highlights". If you laughed at the trailers, consider yourself lucky. You may be able to go into this film and enjoy it but really... I just doubt it. It was as pure a waste of time as I can think of recently.
And I saw Pink Panther.
Lucky Number Slevin was funnier. Oh, crap. Have I talked about that one yet? I don't feel like checking so I'll quickly cover Slevin... it's VERY british without having brits in it. Think Snatch and Lock Stock with american actors. Bruce Willis is awesome and the script is fun to listen to... what Kevin Smith should be able to do once he stops focusing on stoner jokes. Go see it, it's fun!
Unlike Scary Movie 4. The guy playing Tom Cruise sucks. Anna Farris is wasted in this piece of crap and I really wish she would've turned them down but I can understand why she wouldn't. Chris Elliott has managed to start annoying me again and Carmne Electra should just go ahead and only agree to appear in a movie if she can be naked because there really is nothing else redeeming about the woman and time will quickly make even THAT a non-option. So it just leaves the audience having to rely on the jokes for entertainment.
Yawn.
The Wild
Disney does Madagascar but not as well. The animation is amazing and technically near-flawless. The voice talent could've been great... Keifer Sutherland leading, Jeanine Giraffe-lo (ba dum bum), Jim Belushi, Eddie Izzard, Patrick Warburton, William FUCKING Shatner... and still it just never gells.
Why?
One reason... the story is flat out weak. Like Chicken Little before it (and probably Cars to come), Disney has been having trouble with CG flicks. Not from the animation side but the story side. They've been dull, lifeless, joyless tales of fathers/sons and finding yourself. Ugh. Even the young kids couldn't maintain interest. Even the apparently Disney required dance number during the credits couldn't hold their eyes on the screen. It's bad enough having the kids THERE but when they're bored, I just wnat to hurt the little bastards.
Do not waste your time with this unless you're a parent and your kid won't shut up about it.
OR you are studying animation.
Otherwise, go see Lucky Number Slevin.
OR go see...
Thank You for Not Smoking
Funnier than Scary Movie 4. More educational and featuring a better father/son story than The Wild.
The story of a lobbyist...well, THE lobbyist for Big Tobacco and how he does his job and deals with a son reaching that impressionable age. Is he without morals or simply better able to ignore them? Will he change at the end or stay the same? What is the film saying about such people? About the people AGAINST Big Tobacco?
Actually, it is saying the same thing about them both... both are in it for themselves.
But damn it if it isn't funny. I laughed out loud several times. Giggled many other times. Smiled through most of the film.
I can't say enough good things about it, honestly. Go see it. Enjoy a wonderful cast doing some really great material.
Like Slevin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home