Sunday, June 24, 2007

I had to see it again... to make sure... but

Yep, Surf's Up is officially my favorite movie of the summer. It was going to be Hot Fuzz and don't get me wrong, that is a VERY close second, but Surf's Up is just so damn pitch perfect I can't stand it.
The characters are ALIIIIIIVE in ways that make me pine for the classic days of pre-Pixar disney. They have depth not normal for a cartoon. Motivations that, on the surface, seem shallow or undeveloped but thru the course of the movie reveal themselves to be complex.
The story is simple yet powerful. A young boy who lost his father at an early age finds a father figure and becomes obsessed with the accomplishments of that new "dad" without understanding the MAN. He goes on a journey and discovers that the father he needed by admitting he needed it.
The jokes are fresh AND old. The humor goes from simple fart and pratfall jokes for the kiddies to those the parents will understand (and in a couple of cases hope the kids don't know enough to question).
The musical choices work.
The scenery is beautiful.
The style (a documentary) is never forgotten and even the surfing footage is an animated form of surfing footage you can check out on you tube and stuff.
It just feels authentic.
I can understand why they say it's "based on a true story." IT FEELS TRUE.
I can't wait to own this.
Hell, I may end up seeing it again in the theatre before Die Hard and Transformers get here. Anyone want to go with me? :o)

Oh, Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer was a fun ride. Good summer flick. The plot is VERY loosely based on the comics and has some issues but overall the actors know their characters and while I don't judge Alba as harshly as others do I agree that McMahon is hands down the WORST possible Doom. The guy just can't DO it. He has the looks for the Victor Von Doom from the comics but not the air or the presence or the voice.

Ratatouille was another great pixar film. The animation is top notch, the character work the usual genius level and the story the norm. It's a tad too adult for the kiddies and the 2 hour running time may make parents want to skip it but I think the slightly older youngins can enjoy it. The opening short cartoon is a riot but the main film never reaches that level of... JOY. I left it wanting more. Not more of the movie but more FROM it. The themes and messages from it are the regular sort we get from Pixar. I just felt like I should've ben laughing more. I am sure most people will hold it in higher regard than Surf's Up but for me... SU was just a better movie. Not just for kids, for anyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home