Monday, April 09, 2007

Macgyver ain't got NOTHIN on me!

So today at lunch I got a little flustered and upset and stuff and lost my concentration and did something I really don't do that often... I locked my keys in the car.
It was just after 4PM and I had to get back upstairs and back on the phones and wouldn't have time to work on it right then. I didn't want to spend the money on Pop-A-Lock but none of my friends or family had a slim jim or could bring me a coat hanger or something.
I felt like I was just gonna have to waste the money and have someone come out and take a LOT longer to open the car than it would take me.
Side note: why is it that none of the guys that ever come out will just let you borrow their tool so you can do it yourself? I even offered this guy 20 bucks about 4 years ago if he would just let me do it. It had already taken him about 40 minutes and he had tried every door and I was getting frustrated!
Anyway, so I was sitting at my desk, swamped by phone calls until almost 630 and getting nothing but jokes and less than helpful replies.
"Wow, that sucks!"
"You should carry extra keys!"
"Here you go" accompanied by either a picture of a slim jim meat treat or an actual slim jim meat treat.
ARGH!
I was trying to think of something... anything. My natural instinct is to solve a problem and always has been but I felt trapped. I didn't have much to work with, you know?
Then right around 7 I looked up at the easter basket a co-worker had given me. More specifically, I looked at the handle and that it looked pretty thin. It juuuuust might fit into the door. So I took the handle off and it got pretty straight.
Cool, I thought, and proceeded to use my scissors to cut some grooves into it.
My co-workers looked at me with confusion, bemusement and pity but I wasn't deterred! I just kept on working that puppy!
At 728 I logged out of the phones and told them I was going downstairs while I still had some daylight and not a lot of rain. Damn, it was cold. My hands were aching trying to hold the thing and NOT make it splinter. I just kept moving it around trying to find that one spot I knew was there from the last time. At one point the end started to split and I had to switch it around. I was worried isnce, if it went, I was screwed. No one was available to come help or at least, no one seemed willing. They were either busy or unable to drive out to where I was.
My co-workers all left. Sure, they stopped and offered assistance but it's hard for me to ask anything of them when they're walking towards their cars with their keys out and those "please don't ask me to help" faces.
I simply said I had it and told them I'd see them tomorrow.
At 738 I found the spot and the handle released.
That's right. In less than ten minutes I had opened my car door using nothing but the cheap 'wood' handle from an easter basket.
After the wonderful glow of achievment faded I started wondering if I should start putting the alarm on again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home