Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Movies

Ok, now I really don't see EVERY movie out... but I AM a movie fan and see a lot of movies. Here are some quickie reviews of the ones this summer... that are still out there. Some honorable mentions that didn't make this list are Longest Yard (ok for one viewing) and Madagascar (fun for the lemurs and the penguins). If you want to know about any particular movie or just want more info on some listed, comment and I will get to it.
Batman Begins
Good. Gets the Batman franchise back on track. I REALLY hate the “man in rubber suit” look but understand the reasoning enough to not let it ruin the movie completely for me. Good acting all around and I like Bale’s Batman. Al Ghul is such a great villain in the comics that it would be really difficult to do him justice but Neeson came pretty damn close. I just wish that once…just ONCE… they could actually make a Batman who is the world’s greatest detective. A brain-over-brawn type. Which is made all the more impressive since he also has the brawn.
Fantastic Four
Loved it. Complete and total fun at the movies. Doom was messed up but not beyond recognition like some of the bat villains have been BEFORE Begins. I liked Thing even if he wasn’t a huge, walking man-mountain. I enjoyed Sue and Johnny and thought Reed was damn near spot on. REALLY looking forward to the sequel.
Bad News Bears
Rent the original. The stuff they didn’t change was better there and the stuff they did change was worse than the original. A really pointless remake with nothing to offer. It wasn’t terrible (see Skeleton Key for that) but I am really glad I saw it for free.
Wedding Crashers
Funny. One of the best comedies this summer. Only gripe? Too long by about half an hour. And it was a plot half hour so it felt like It wasn’t a comedy anymore for a LONG time.
March of the Penguins
A marvelous film. Take the family. Take the siblings. Take a date. Hell, take your grandparents. It’s a wonderful film. Beautiful images and a heart warming story.
Sky High
Liked it bunches. Saw it twice and liked it the second time just as much. Only FF had that same distinction this summer. It’s a Disney high school movie with superheroes!!
Stealth
Looks good… special FX AND Beil. Plot was ok… decent enough twists for a summer actioner. Just wasn’t GREAT!
Island
I liked it. Saw it for free so that helped, probably. Really worth it for the stunts and for McGregor’s scenes with himself.
Devil’s Rejects
Didn’t go far enough. It needed to be MORE violent and MORE gory than anything else out there to justify its existence. It just wasn’t enough. Not when compared to the movies it is paying homage to.
Must Love Dogs
Cutesy lil romantic movie. Decent enough date movie, I guess, but could have been funnier and could’ve been more romantic. Harmless and forgettable.
Four Brothers
Not bad. Another throwback to the way they USED to make movies (like Devil’s Rejects) but this one manages to live up to the violence of the 70’s. Think Death Wish and Dirty Harry picks and you will get an idea for what they were going for. And it has some genuinely funny moments that come from character and not just cause the studios wanted it there. Yes, you can tell when such a thing happens.
Deuce Bigelow 2
Some laugh out loud and get tears in your eyes bits surrounded by jokes that just aren’t THAT funny. Cute plot and a nice message. Nothing unexpected, really.
Dukes Of Hazzard
Good stunts. Nice legs. Some nice bits of character interaction. And yet… it was still boring. Weird. Granted, the original TV show wasn’t exactly the best thing ever so really… this is a very respectable adaptation.
Skeleton Key
God, did this thing suck. It was horrible. Wanted to walk out within the first thirty minutes. Stayed for John Hurt. Period. I wanted my money back and I saw it free. Was thinking they should reimburse me for the snacks and the gas.
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Cute enough, I guess, but the original was perfect and cannot be touched. End of story. Everyone I was with seemed to really like this movie and those unfamiliar with the original seemed to really like it. Not me. It was ok.
Mr. and Mrs. Smith
Lots of fun. Fun moments and exciting stunts and some really good chemistry on screen. Saw it twice, liked it twice. It just wasn’t as good that second time.
Lords of Dogtown
Impressive. I liked the documentary better but this was still fun. Worth a rental since not in theatres anymore.
Land of the Dead
Shows how to do zombie movies. One of his better budgeted flicks. I liked this one. Not perfect and I DO like Shaun of the Dead better but it was still pretty fun.
Star Wars Episode III
It satisfactorily ended the series. The homage to Frankenstein pissed off a lot of folks but I was ok with it. Not how any number of fanboys would’ve ended the franchise but it isn’t our right to do that. It was Lucas’ baby all the way through.
Bewitched
WTF?!?! It was ok. Not sure how it could be less than stellar with the cast and the concept but it managed to be.
War of the Worlds
The effects were amazing. Shame the rest couldn’t be the same. Overall, it was worth a viewing on the big screen. Why can’t Spielberg do sci-fi anymore? Can anyone tell me that?

2 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

I agree on every movie here that *I've* seen which is no where near the number you've seen. I've been going back and forth about wanting to see March of the Penguins, but everyone is so thrilled about it that looks like I'll have to go!

7:10 PM  
Blogger wmjwatson said...

March of the Penguins is a great flick. Some folks who just like a lot of action may get bored... and the penguin sex is a bit odd to watch but if you like documentaries, you will love it. And hey... I am looking forward to 40-year old virgin and Red Eye this week!!

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home